Sunday, July 3, 2011

July Long Weekend in Nfld.


Alanna and I Standing at Cape Spear


                                                          Eastern Most Point in North America

Wild Lupins


My emotions have played on the big roller coaster this week and have me thinking about creating my own Bucket List. Ken and I quite enjoyed the movie that featured Jack Nicolson and Morgan Freedman.
When I sat down to write what I wanted to accomplish not many lines were filled. Sadly we are taught not to dream big.  I am going to throw caution to the wind and dream big, put down goals that might not seem obtainable but with courage and determination can be done.
See unique places and do strange and wonderful things. It can be as simple as challenging yourself to wear a 2 piece bathing suit in public!  Help people out where I can. Try and make a difference. There is a saying I once read somewhere that “Every day may not be good, but there is good in every day”.  I am going to try and see some good in every day.
Look for mentors who live an exciting life, and ask them about their favourite experience. Get in the habit of talking about dreams and goals with like minded people.  This for sure helped us in our journey with Genesis. Ignore the people that are stuck in a rut and happy with mediocrity, as they will only think dreams as being silly. Search out people that inspire greatness. Try to become one of those people that inspire greatness.
I challenge all of you to get out there and create your own bucket list and try and draw a line through one or two of them a year. More if you’re determined.  We can determine how our lives play out, we can’t change the past but we can mould a new future.
One of my biggest fears at the moment is that my life will not be AS happy ever again, not that it won’t be happy again but the big “AS”. So I have thought about this non – stop and have come to the conclusion that it will never be the same and it shouldn’t be, it should look different. If I carry all the positive things that have occurred in my life forward and use them as tools to move ahead I can maybe reach the goal of becoming one of those people that inspire greatness.
The Canadian long weekend began on Thursday June 30th here in St. John’s. Alanna had purchased tickets to an outdoor concert on George St.  George St. is best known for its Festival when 1000’s of people descend on St. John’s to hear live music for a week. It is quite the party atmosphere.  The day and evening was cool, wet and the band well, loud. I was grateful to be invited but about 2230 hrs decided to call it a night and walk home allowing Alanna and her friends to continue on “Mom Free”. Friday consisted of tourist attractions putting on a 144th birthday party for Canada complete with fireworks. Alanna had heard that the Capelin were in! I remembered Ken coming home from a Basketball Canada convention in St. John’s telling me that as soon as they arrived people were asking them if they had come to see the Capelin.
Capelin are herring type fish that are bait fish for the whales and smaller yet larger fish in the ocean. With the Capelin usually one will see whales.  We ventured up the highway following the tiny bays and fishing villages until we came to Tapper Cove. It was here that we were told they would be. However, as nice as the cove was we did not see the Capelin. I have learnt to just ask instead of driving or walking or doing instead of wasting time. I marched over to two fishermen and asked where do we go to see the Capelin? He answered Doorbay dust up der. I think that is what he said when I asked the second time. So I tried to figure out what he said in his accent. Thorbay just up there made sence. Well we never did see the Capelin. We did however drive around the loop that took us to the top of the peninsula with great views of the ocean. We all know I have not seen enough ocean.
Today we took a drive the other way to Cape Spear. Cape Spear is the Eastern most point in North America. It is sunny and beautiful today. We couldn't have asked for nicer weather. This Cape is generally cold and windy and can be at least 10 degrees less than in St. John's.
Maybe finally Summer has arrived.





No comments:

Post a Comment